Sunday, March 31, 2013

Keep moving forward . . . Step 6: Change of Heart

Happy Easter everyone!  What better way to celebrate the resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ, than by working on how to improve myself and take advantage of the opportunity He gave us to become better people through His atonement!

Step 6: Become entirely ready to have God remove all your character weaknesses.  This was harder than I thought it would be.  When I first read it I thought wasn't this what I did when I confessed to God?  Wasn't I sorrowful over the things I've done wrong, or haven't done right as the case may be, and therefore ready to have Him remove my character flaws.  But as time went on and my habits have not changed very much I saw that though I was sorry, and felt that burden of guilt lifted it didn't necessarily mean I was ready to completely give up my weaknesses to God.  I want to and I felt like it was impossible. Didn't this mean I would have to become perfect all at once, and such just is not the way things work.  I can't become perfect over night, therefore this step is impossible, and I can't move on to other steps till I am perfect.

Now I realize how wrong all this thinking was.  All I need to do for this step is be READY to give up my weaknesses.  That doesn't mean they are gone.  All it means is I have the desire and willingness to give them up.  It doesn't mean it has to happen over night, and it doesn't mean I can't move forward till I achieve perfection.  I'm ready.  I've reached the point that I want God's help to remove my flaws and weaknesses.

I've recently been able to think more clearly on things like this and I think I owe a great deal of that to my 17 month old son who is finally sleeping through the night in a separate room.  Thus I am finally getting the sleep I need to be sane and motivated during the day!  Go Figure!  Ahhh.  :)  Maybe now I can make the progress that had been put on hold because all I had the energy to do was get by and survive each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment